Sokolnictwo Dla Początkujących

Sokolnictwo Dla Początkujących

Few words about polish falconry

Strona główna » Something about polish falconry

Something about polish falconry

If you want to know few basic facts about falconry in Poland then You came to right place! Well, let’s start from the begining. I didn’t make a whole English copy of this site because I think that there is enough falconry web sites – just google them! This short description is about to tell You, how does falconry in Poland look like.

Modern falconry in Poland exists since 1972 and currently (2020) we have ca. 200 active falconers – most of them are organized in one central Club called „Gniazdo Sokolnikow”. I think that here more than 60% of falconers fly goshawks and that’s what Polish falconers are good in. However the other 40% flying falcons (mainly female peregrines) also represent a good level of european falconry. In the end of 2008 we have succesfully established last part of legal requirements that introduced the same CITES regulations as in other EU countries. Thnaks to that it is no longer a problem to travel and keep the birds from other EU countries. Unfortunately still it is not allowed to obtain any wild birds although for example Goshawk population is very strong in Poland.

To be a falconer in Poland first what you have to do is to pass the exams in the National Hunters Association to became a hunter (there is only one such association called Polski Związek Łowiecki). When you are a hunter then you have to pass additional exams this time – falconry exams. As mentioned there is only one Falconry Associations in Poland and it is called „Gniazdo Sokolników” (direct translation to English is „The Falconers Nest”). Once a year this Club has a falconry field meeting, which lasts three or four days. There are few species of birds of prey that we use for hunting: goshawks and peregrines (mainly), sakers, lanners, harris hawks and gyr hybrids (hybrids are allowed to keep but not to breed). The Peregrine is currently a part of a special reintroduction program that „FALCONERS NEST” started. We breed peregrines in captivity and then relieve into freedom. Thanks to that last years we found out that the wild population of peregrine is starting to increase (especially the tree nesting population).

Well, that’s most main details about Polish falconry. If you have any questions, then simply email me and I will answer them as quick as I can. Click on the KONTAKT section of this site and then write your question. You can also see the galery, but all of this site except this part is in polish.